Modern Chinese Literature and Culture
Please read ALL instructions on this page and make any needed preparations before proceeding further.
you have been asked to sumbit a letter of recommendation for an
applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of
- Applications will only be accepted through our online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance and you are ready to complete your application in one sitting. Partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved and returned to at a later date for completion. Please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses). There will be no opportunity for online revision once your application has been accepted.
- All uploaded files must be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be saved or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
- Three names and email addresses for external references are required, though you may list up to five names. Shortly after you submit your completed online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. Once again, please be sure all email addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your reference will not receive the instructions.
- Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- Documents must not exceed 4 MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
- File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
- The size of the writing sample should be equivalent to a single journal article or book chapter; it may be published or unpublished. Only one sample need be submitted.
- When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. Please note, "letter of application" and "cover letter" are used interchangeably in this application process. All required fields must be filled in before you click the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications.
Applications that are submitted complete by October 15, 2013, will be ensured full consideration. Please note, additional time for receipt of references will be allowed, up to one week after the deadline. You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.
The following link will take you to the Modern Chinese Literature and Culture application screen. Be sure to have all your information and enough time to complete the application process in its entirety once you click the above link to apply.