Welcome to LEMMings@Northwestern
LEMMings@Northwestern is a resource for local work in philosophy on Language, Epistemology, Mind, and Metaphysics.
In late November of 2004 Brian Weatherson (Rutgers University) was looking for a label for the areas of philosophy that he (and many others) worked in. He wrote at the time that:
"The best suggestions seemed to be that I have a purely disjunctive label. But “Language, Epistemology, Metaphysics and Mind” seemed to be too long. What we needed was a shortening. Maybe an acronym. But LEMM seemed boring. If we just add a suffix we could have a name. I know… LEMMINGS!"
The moniker has stuck, though we are still waiting for a job ad in Jobs for Philosophers saying “We want to hire a Lemming”.
- The deadline for submission to the 4th Annual Northwestern/Notre Dame Epistemology Graduate Conference is January 15th. Details regarding the conference and submissions can be found here.
- The M&E Reading Group will continue reading Timothy Williamson's Knowledge and its Limits throughout the Winter quarter
- We welcome the following visiting professors: Professor Jurgis Skilters (University of Latvia), whose research is on spatial cognition and formal semantics, and Professor Thomas Grundmann (University of Cologne), whose research is in the area of epistemology
- We are pleased to announce that the 7th annual Midwest Epistemology Workshop will be held November 7th-9th, 2013 at the University of Notre Dame. Details here.
- The M&E Reading Group has chosen to read Timothy Williamson's Knowledge and its Limits for the Fall quarter
- We have posted the Call For Papers for the 4th annual Northwestern/Notre Dame Graduate Student Epistemology Conference here.
- Congratulations Ryan Doran on the successful defense of his dissertation, Explaining the Multiple Uses of Demonstrative Expressions
- Congratulations to Jennifer Lackey on her appointment to Full Professor