Welcome to LEMMings@Northwestern
LEMMings@Northwestern is a resource for local work in philosophy on Language, Epistemology, Mind, and Metaphysics.
In late November of 2004 Brian Weatherson (Rutgers University) was looking for a label for the areas of philosophy that he (and many others) worked in. He wrote at the time that:
"The best suggestions seemed to be that I have a purely disjunctive label. But “Language, Epistemology, Metaphysics and Mind” seemed to be too long. What we needed was a shortening. Maybe an acronym. But LEMM seemed boring. If we just add a suffix we could have a name. I know… LEMMINGS!"
The moniker has stuck, though we are still waiting for a job ad in Jobs for Philosophers saying “We want to hire a Lemming”.
- The 7th Annual Northwestern/Notre Dame Graduate Epistemology Conference will be held April 22-3, 2016 at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. Our Keynote speaker will be Selim Berker (Harvard University). Additional details and a CFP to come.
- We are pleased to announce that the 8th annual Midwest Epistemology Workshop will be held October 17th-18th, 2014 at the University of Michigan. Details here.
- The deadline for submission to the 5th Annual Northwestern/ Notre Dame Epistemology Conference has been extended to February 1st. Additionally, the organizers are proud to announce that Louise Antony will be this year's keynote speaker. More information about the conference can be found here.
- Northwestern's Philosophy Department will be hosting a pre-Central APA conference on Wed. Feb 26th from 9am to 6pm on Topics in Philosophy of Mind. Speakers include Carrie Figdor (U Iowa), Claire MacCumhaill (Durham), Alyssa Nay (Rochester), and Nick Treanor (Edinburgh). More information here.
- We are pleased to announce that we are currently accepting applications for a one-year post-doctoral fellow in Social Epistemology, supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, in conjunction with a Sawyer Seminar we will be hosting over the course of the 2014-15 academic year. Learn more here.
- The deadline for submission to the 4th Annual Northwestern/Notre Dame Epistemology Graduate Conference is January 15th, 2014. Details regarding the conference and submissions can be found here.
- The M&E Reading Group will continue reading Timothy Williamson's Knowledge and its Limits throughout the Winter quarter
- We welcome the following visiting professors: Professor Jurgis Skilters (University of Latvia), whose research is on spatial cognition and formal semantics, and Professor Thomas Grundmann (University of Cologne), whose research is in the area of epistemology
- We are pleased to announce that the 7th annual Midwest Epistemology Workshop will be held November 7th-9th, 2013 at the University of Notre Dame. Details here.
- The M&E Reading Group has chosen to read Timothy Williamson's Knowledge and its Limits for the Fall quarter
- We have posted the Call For Papers for the 4th annual Northwestern/Notre Dame Graduate Student Epistemology Conference here.
- Congratulations Ryan Doran on the successful defense of his dissertation, Explaining the Multiple Uses of Demonstrative Expressions
- Congratulations to Jennifer Lackey on her appointment to Full Professor