4th Annual Midwest Epistemology Workshop Friday, Oct. 8-Saturday, Oct. 9 2010
Friday, October 8
8:30-8:50 Continental Breakfast
8:50 Greetings and Announcements
Session I: 9:00-10:30
"Mentalism and Epistemic Transparency"
Speaker: Declan Smithies (Ohio)
Chair: Omar Mirza (St. Cloud State)
Session II: 11:00-12:30
"Epistemological Egoism and Agent-Centered Norms"
Speaker: Michael Huemer (Colorado)
Chair: Wayne Riggs (Oklahoma)
Session III: 2:00-3:30
"Constraining Credences in Counterfactuals"
Speaker: Sarah Moss (Michigan)
Chair: Michael DePaul (Notre Dame)
Session IV: 3:00-5:00
Jason Stanley (Rutgers)
Chair: Jennifer Lackey (Northwestern)
Cash Bar, Hors d’oeuvres
Saturday, October 9
9:00-10:00 Continental Breakfast
Session V: 10:00-11:30
"Appearance, Acquaintance, and the Subject's Perspective Objection"
Speaker: Ali Hasan (Iowa)
Chair: Peter Baumann (Swathmore)
Session VI: 1:30-3:00
"Reliabilism, Epistemic Luck, and the Generality Problem"
Speaker: Mylan Engel (Northwern Illinois)
Chair: Richard Fumerton (Iowa)
Session VII: 3:30-5:00
"Dealing with Disagreement from the First Person Perspective: A Probabilist Approach"
Speaker: Trent Dougherty (Baylor)
Chair: Lisa Warenski (Union College)
- We are pleased to announce that we are currently accepting applications for a one-year post-doctoral fellow in Social Epistemology, supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, in conjunction with a Sawyer Seminar we will be hosting over the course of the 2014-15 academic year. Learn more here.
- The deadline for submission to the 4th Annual Northwestern/Notre Dame Epistemology Graduate Conference is January 15th, 2014. Details regarding the conference and submissions can be found here.
- The M&E Reading Group will continue reading Timothy Williamson's Knowledge and its Limits throughout the Winter quarter
- We welcome the following visiting professors: Professor Jurgis Skilters (University of Latvia), whose research is on spatial cognition and formal semantics, and Professor Thomas Grundmann (University of Cologne), whose research is in the area of epistemology
- We are pleased to announce that the 7th annual Midwest Epistemology Workshop will be held November 7th-9th, 2013 at the University of Notre Dame. Details here.
- The M&E Reading Group has chosen to read Timothy Williamson's Knowledge and its Limits for the Fall quarter
- We have posted the Call For Papers for the 4th annual Northwestern/Notre Dame Graduate Student Epistemology Conference here.
- Congratulations Ryan Doran on the successful defense of his dissertation, Explaining the Multiple Uses of Demonstrative Expressions
- Congratulations to Jennifer Lackey on her appointment to Full Professor